No. I have not taken a rebirth and started hating cricket. Feb 24 would still remain as one of the happiest days of my life. But it was hard to watch the series on television. Every 3 minutes(approx) these ads kept bugging me. Someone said the standard of Indian advertising has gone up. God save the Indian ad industry, if this is true. The ads that were running, in the descending order of level of stupidity, were:
1. J K Super Cements: A girl walking out of the waves in a bikini. And they say J k Super Cements: Is mein kuch khaas hai. The sad part is that people started talking about it on all forums about the absurdness of the ad and it received the publicity that it required. If ever I were to buy cement, I will make sure that it is no J K. I reported this to ASCI as well.
2. HDFC life insurance: The two friends in the cab ad. If a friend of mine asks me , “yaar, agar tu wapas hi nahi aaya toh?”, I would either slap him or give all the mc, bc galis of the world. I would not for sure “sir jhukake sit” !!
3. Micromax: The guy gets hit while crossing the road. That when he is updating his FB status that he got saved just now. Seriously, you think I would buy this phone after this?
4. IPL: Yes. The IPL is back home. But they don’t have to torture us with all these stupid ticket kharida kya ad and the ones which says “stadium ka maza stadium main hi hai”. The latter concept is good. But please; the ads like the one in which the blonde copies the dance step or the one which has the dumb girl screaming “come on yaar, give me a six” drives you away from the stadium. If anything.
5. Lemon Mobile: Why can’t they find better names for their brands? Lemon mobile? Like, if I am thirsty, I can put this mobile in water, add sugar and drink? Is that the idea? And the ad where the pilot catches the mobile our of the aeroplane was irritating, least to say.
6. Java Mobile: Please read comments above.
7. ibibo: “Usne mere melons churaye” ad and the guy driving his car in the loo ad. If you want to show vulgarity, show it properly. Don’t use this school kiddish dialogues. At least not on advertisements.
8. Vokswagen: The car ads never come out good for some reason. People find it hard to come up with creative ways of marketing car advertisements. The ad where the guy pulls out some crap from Himalayas and comes to the bar to show it off. Please! Just show the car gliding on a highway. That is good enough for us!!
9. Econ Religare: I know you think you don’t know this one. But remember the ad where Irrfan khan gives you the gyan on saving for the future? Well now you do. All I heard for 18 days was aamdani thenga. I know Irffan has this aam aadmi image. But for God sake you do not have to use it in all the brands!!
10. Titan: Even the master could not get it right this time. Aamir’s ad where he wears Titan and the whole papparazi is behind him. Eventhough, it was one of the lesser irritating ads, when you see Aamir doing it, it irks you as much.
Where are the good old days of “Hai Sanjana, Want another Pepsi?” or “H for Hitler, A for Arrogant, R for Rascal and I for Idiot” gone? Hope ads like these are back at least for the IPL. Otherwise we are in for a painful 30 days ahead!!
Song for the Occasion: Ye zameen ye aasman (for bringing back the glorious ads)
Ps: Apologies for the frustrated/Irritant post. But, I had to vent it out somewhere :)