Thursday, June 12, 2008

Of tag lines and Status messages

“College di gate ke is taraf hum life ko nachate hain, toh Dujji taraf life humko nachati hai ..Tim Lak lak te Tim lak lak”


Awesome dialogue that from RDB. And I decided to put it in my status message on my Gtalk. And a couple of days later I see it in my friend’s MSN messenger. I felt cheated and robbed. So much for being creative :)

The whole thing made me wonder. What is the deal with the status messages? They are meant to indicate whether you are available (for chat), busy, away or in a meeting or whatever. But open gtalk or any other messenger there will be a tail hanging on to everyone’s name. And there is orkut. People sacrifice putting their names and try to fit in a tag line there. Orkut eventually had to put a space below their names to put a tag line. But nobody seems to bother.

I dwelled deep into this. I took it as an assignment in fact to see and understand the deep thought process behind the purpose of putting these taglines. And eventually I am now being able to generalize them.

The Quotes: These are the most famous ones to be used in a tag line. Something somebody said accidentally and forgot about it for the rest of his/her life and it becomes a quotable quote. The effect of the quote would last on the reader, I bet, for not more than 2 seconds! Anyways, since it is the in thing, people spend hours together searching for a quote, a cheesy line or a catchy phrase. The logic behind this has to be that the catchier or the more encrypted the quote is, the more would be the people pinging/scrapping you to ask what that is. The people in this category would surely be bookworms.

The life: Life is tough. Life is hard. Life is beautiful. Life is wonderful. Life is complex. You can find the best of philosophers amongst these people. This is their way of expressing to others that they need attention. They sure would be thinking “My life is sad, please come and share the sorrow with me. Or my life is so happy that you should talk to me and ask about (not share) my happiness”. Most of these people would be single :)

The location: This is the closest that you can get to what you can call a status message. The lines would read something like “Out of town for a week”, “off to Chennai”. “Going to Las Vegas!!!!!!”(If you are in the US). As if the whole world is waiting with a pen and a diary to track their busy schedule in life.

The Attitude & the stupidity: This is the best place to show your attitude or stupidity. Especially the mean-girl ones. This is common more on the orkut tag line. These lines would read like “Attitude is what makes me, ME!”, “Do you think I care”, “Attitude makes the diff, and I have it”! and so on. If you have an attitude, show it, but not on paper. And there are the famous “Out of orkut” messages. And these guys login daily to check if somebody was bothered about them not being in the orkut.


The Admiration: When you appreciate something/someone so much, how do you express yourself? And how will you do it, if you want to tell it out to the whole world. The answer is right here – Tag Lines! Put it there ant he whole world would know that you are a die hard Sachin fan, you loved the way India played, you are a hardcore Rahmaniac, you loved a movie or a performance in a movie, and you cannot get over this song that you have been listening to. For these people the tag line becomes the place where you become a critic. They feel like they have become a column writer. And if the small space is not enough, these people would take to blogging, craving for some attention. Did you guess which category I belong to?! :P


So that is my list. Please do contribute to my research if you have any valuable suggestions or a crappy tag line you have come across.


Update
********
AC brought up a valid point. Pasting his thoughts frm the comments:


The Tagless: We people have no tags.. And then people keep guessing what we are doing, where we are etc etc.. They don't know what philosophy we follow, so they can't decide how to behave with us..! They don't even know the things in our lives, so they don't know how to start the conversations! ;-) We don't promote movies, music, etc etc.. (Well, not through the tag lines..) So, they don't even know what to talk upon.. ;-)Such a tagless life.. We live..




Song for the occasion: Milo Wahan from Ada – well this song has nothing to do with the post. But this has been playing in my head in a loop. May be I should put it in my tag line!

13 comments:

Prats said...

That was a precise analysis...I've always wondered why people just advertised their lives so much so that it became a habit....
the 'busy', out. taglines are out of fashion now :(

i've seen taglines like 'let's dream'...ok so you do , why should I???
and lately i've seen one which says 'this smile is just amask' arrrgggh.... too much

Cinderella said...

well.. thats a nice analysis. my internet life is incomplete without status msg.. and i tell you, people have appreciated me a lot for the variety of status msg i put (:P :D)

they can be anything from jokes, shayari, emotions, anger, quotes, etc etc. :)

AC said...

Nice post.. As usual..

Please cover tagless people like me! We people have no tags.. And then people keep guessing what we are doing, where we are etc etc.. They don't know what philosophy we follow, so they can't decide how to behave with us..! They don't even know the things in our lives, so they don't know how to start the conversations! ;-) We don't promote movies, music, etc etc.. (Well, not through the tag lines..) So, they don't even know what to talk upon.. ;-)

Such a tagless life.. We live.. What are you going to tag us now? ;-)

-

Priya (Thotprocess) said...

Cmon! what's wrong with those statuses? I like them. I find it rather boring with just the names on my messenger..even if it's for 2 seconds, even if it just made me smile, it's worth it right! :-)

I generally use statuses on Mondays and Fridays (reasons are obvious, no?).

Monday ones generally are like, 'Beam me up, Scotty! This planet sucks' and 'Cogito ergo doleo'

Friday ones are mostly 'Friday!!!'

One gets a weird satisfaction in doing that ;-)

BTW, for the Monday statuses, you won't believe how many ping me back saying 'me too' :-D

Also, (im on a roll here in your comment space), one of my colleagues uses this to send subtle hints to his manager: 'My take home doesn't even take me home' - see? it helps. ;-)

Vinod R Iyer said...

@Prats: 'this smile is just amask' ... ROTFL :):)

@Cindrella: That's y this post is there :)

@AC: Well you wrapped it up for me ..Will update it in the blog ..:)

@Priya: Weird satisfaction it is. Nothing wrong. But does nt make sense to me but still keep doing it :D

Divs said...

i agree with priya ;) And, isn't it nice to have something to start off a conversation with?

I don't see anything wrong in statuses! But i do also agree that some are weird and make u 'roll the eyes' and 'lift the brows'. We appreciate your analysis, and your patience, categoerising each type of status msg! Hail vettiness! :D

Snehal'z said...

AAh! Its the Tag-age!!
No one leaves home without one... and specially because it gives the BRAND thing... People know your brand before they even know you. Doesn't that save time? I sure do save a lot ;-)

Vinod R Iyer said...

@Divs: Not saying there is something wrong. Even I do it :P..just wanted to do an indepth analysis :)

@Snehal: Branding ... That's exactly what it is!

arpita singh said...

hey dat was an awesome analysis!!! nicely done....soo.wellllll now smthing strange .i got up here to dis page just as i was searching 4 taglines on internet...by typing taglines 4 status msgs!!...just in case i wud find many taglines each 4 everyday.:P
well but after reading dis.....i shud say...ammm...its gud 2 have taglines u know(unless dey r all yours n not dat cut copy paste stuff...)

shez said...

shez
hey help me....
iam a btech student..
i want a tagline which can impress all.......

Sheryl said...

well vry rightly said...hahhaa....taglines hv bcm so starnge stuffs..bt i lk d tagless one betr..rock on dude :)

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm....... i think we all can sayzzz..all izz wellll.perfact tagline....

sheetal said...

hmmmmm....... i think we all can sayzzz..all izz wellll.perfact tagline....