Thursday, June 28, 2007

If music be the food of love, Play on ....

Well it is easy for Shakespeare to say that !!!


I was standing at the signal waiting for it to turn green. A Honda city came and stood beside me. The music in the car was so loud that I could hear the slightest of the instruments being used in the song. And there I was sitting on my bike, the raindrops smashing against my face and with my headphones on, listening to "In dino dil mera", from metro. Just a wish passed by my mind how nice it would be to sit comfortably in that car and listen to the song. Not that I spare any chance to get wet in the rain, but this time I just wished that I could hear the songs once not using my headphones.

Then I turned to my left. There was this guy peeping out the window of a PMT bus. I could feel that he was wishing for something similar to what I did. May be he was wishing that he could afford to buy an mp3 player and a bike! And there was this other kid sitting on the roadside in heavy rain trying to sell his balloons. Somehow I felt that he was also wishing something looking at me.

Music has always been a vital part of my life. I have to listen to music no matter what I am doing. Even while studying I used have songs playing in the background. I was almost thrown out of the exam hall for humming a tune while I was writing a semester exam.

This small little episode made me think. What if someone like the kid wanted to hear songs? Where would he listen? Of course he would have all the latest songs played in the radio. But what if he wanted to hear different kinds of music. Where would he get to hear that? He obviously has to keep himself happy with Himesh bhayya’s nasal numbers.

Then I remembered another incident that had happened. I was in my salon for a hair cut. Arman, the guy giving me a head massage was singing(almost whispering) an old kishore kumar number. My mobile phone started to ring the tune of RDB background score and I cut the call immediately. Then Arman asked me curiously,

“Ye tune kahan se mila” .
I said “ Ye RDB ka hai. Picture ke background score mein aata hai” .
He said “ Haan malum hai … 5-6 baar dekhi hai picture. Lekin ya ringtone kahan se mila?” .
I said trying to be modest “ Mein ne composer se banaya hai” .
He wasn’t quite amazed as I thought he would be and said “ Sahi hai. Mujhe bhi sikhna hai usmein compose kaise karte hain. Mere paas ek chota sa piano hai. Mein usi mein practice karta tha. Ab kharab ho gaya na is liye practice nahi kar paa raha hun”.
I almost offered him my 5 n half octaves keyboard which has been lying untouched for the past year or so. My friend once thought it was an ironing stand! I didn’t know whether to feel bad for Arman or to be ashamed of myself.


The horns of the huge truck standing behind me brought my attention back to the signal. It was green. And I moved on. My mp3 player sang ..

“Berang si hai badi zindagi kuch rang toh barun.
Mein apni tanhayi ke waste ab kuch toh karun.
Jab mile thodi fursat khud se kar le mohobbat” !!!

11 comments:

Adarsh A. Varghese said...

Very often, we take for granted what we have! Nice blog!

Nivedhitha said...

I do not follow hindi very well, but this particular post - I understood everything. Great thought.

Very often, in such traffic signals - it strikes me real hard n i question myself as to why am not on the other side of the glass window 'wiping wind sheilds' or selling 'dusting towels'?

Its hard to figure out a convincing answer. Life seems unfair, n am lost wondering whether to feel happy for myself or sad for the less blessed friends.

Lovely post!

Divs said...

I relate to alot of your posts. Thats why i like your blog ;-) This one...hmm. When i was in school a few years back, i used to cycle back home everyday. And i used to pass this bus stand on my way. It was always crowded. And the bus, as usual, would stand one hundred miles away from where its supposed to stand, so people had to run to catch it. Sometimes i'd see these really old people trying to run...younger people running past them... I'd have this empty gnawing feeling in my stomach. I was just on a cycle, but still. Your first few paras, reminded me of that...after long now!

Loved the way u said himesh's NASAL numbers! And those last few words... :) i rmbr u sayin in m blog that u've been listenin to those lines a thousand times over. But i cant resist from sayin -they're beautiful arent they? :)

Vinod R Iyer said...

Adarsh: Yup. We tend to do that , dont we ?

Niveditha:Thank You :)

Divs: Thank you. Atleast I have one person reading the crap i write :)

Divs said...

Looking at the comments above, there's definitely more than one person reading this blog! And hey, we never classify wat we write as crap ;-) We dont under-rate ourselves :D

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Hahaha..Nice post! :) Himesh being pulled in a funny note was subtle and good! :)

Blue Panther said...

Nice post!

Traffic signals have always intrigued me too. I guess we are not alone in being drawn into the mystery and suspense of a traffic signal and that is the reason we had a movie recently that was called traffic signal.

I think a traffic signal is like an oasis in the middle of a desert. Whoever or whatever you are - however busy you might be - you have no option but to stop and take a break from your "fast and furious" life, and pause at the traffic signal.

Gauri C said...

hey vinod.
really nice blog! i specially like what u have written here.we really do take things for granted a lot.Like the way I cribbed and threw tantrums till my dad got ne a Nokia N72 even though i have Nokia3230. And here is this bai of mine who walked for 5 mins came to home to call a doctor cauz her grandson was ill.

That really made me feel disgusted with myself.U really made a lot of us think......good job\\

P.S. I love music too.dont take out my headphones even though it pours!!! LOL!!!

Vinod R Iyer said...

Divs: Thnks Again :)

Ponnarasi : Thnk u :)

Panther: Ya ...Probably thats wat it did to me as well !

Gauri: Thnks for the comments. Try doing that :)

Ramya said...

And more than ironical,
I've just translated In Dino from Metro in my lyrical blog ! :)

Vinod R Iyer said...

Ramya: That songs sure deserves to be there :)